Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Quiltmaker Count Down to Christmas

Welcome Blog Hoppers!!! 
Thanks for joining me on this "Count Down to Christmas"
with Quiltmaker.
Do you need a quick, easy gift for a friend?
I came up with something for you!
Here's what I started with
I pulled some scraps from my stash and decided to make something fast,
 festive and fun.
This is what the scraps turned into.
Mug Rugs!!!!
I was only going to make one....but I got carried away, which by the way
is easy to do when you're sewing, right??
The more the merrier!
Each Mug Rug is 6 1/2" square, so they're just the perfect size.

And since you know I love fusible applique,
I used my pattern "Santa Claus Lane" and shrunk the images
to size I needed to fit the background pieces.

To make the light bulb, you need
1 - 5 1/2" background square
12 - 1 7/8" squares for half-square-triangles (they finish 1 1/2")  --you will have one left over.
1- 3 1/2" square of red for the light bulb
 a scrap of green for light end
Steam-A-Seam fusible webbing
I did some real simple quilting on the border and in the light bulb.

I think you can give this to a friend with a fun mug and cute tag saying something like:
"You're an inspiration to me"  or
"Thanks for lighting up my life with your fun personality" 

Now for Rudolph, you need
1 - 5 1/2 background square
11 - 1 1/2" squares for borders, reds and greens
brown, tan, red and green scraps for your reindeer
one tiny red button
Steam-A-Seam fusible webbing
For the quilting, I stitched in the ditch and echoed around the reindeer.

Add a mug or a pack of your favorite hot chocolate (yummy!)
with a tag that reads:
"You're one in a million" or
"You're Deer to my heart, thanks for being a great friend"

Candy Cane is last on the list, so here's what you need:
1 - 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" background piece
4 - 3" squares for the crazy four-patch (you will have one 4 patch left over)
red, white and green scraps for the candy cane
one tiny red button
Steam-A-Seam fusible webbing
I used red thread and quilted around in the candy cane as you can see.  I also did
some stitch in the ditch on the crazy four patch blocks.

On the gift tag for this one you could put something like:
"Thanks for being such a sweet friend"

It was so much fun making these, I feel the need to make more.....we'll see.
Thanks for stopping by
Don't forget to check out the give away at Quiltmakers
Have a very Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh those are just adorable. Thank you for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and so very quick to make for that someone you forgot to get a gift for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice idea ... quickie stocking stuffers! thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such a cute and quick gift idea. Next year, I plan to make some of these to go with the hot chocolate "ice cream cones" that my children give to their teachers.

    ReplyDelete